1842 Wilton Road (1984, 1986)1
The home at 1842 Wilton Road is that "little brown shingled cottage" facing Somerton Road and known to anyone who frequents the Coventry Village neighborhood. This storybook residence, constructed originally as a pool structure about 1909, went through years of abandonment until it became a library/study in the 1930s, when the high quality pine panelling was installed. Now it is a small but glorious home filled with collections, art, and artifacts.
It was the property's second owners, the John Robert Crouse family, who built an oval-shaped pool with unheated lodge. The changing lockers are gone, but still extant are the magnificent stone fireplace, unusual schoolroom lights, and much of the rustic woodwork. The first owner of the large corner property had been Marcus M. (M. M.) Brown, downtown attorney, best known in local history as the real estate developer of "Mayfield Heights," the tract from Cadwell to Superior and Euclid Heights to Mayfield. The Brown house at Euclid Heights and Wilton (formerly called Euclid Boulevard and Monroe Avenue, respectively) was constructed in 1900 when the district was first plotted. The Crouse family maintained the complex of structures until 1976 when the present owners bought the small house, by then rented out, and the stable/coach house.
A horse-mounting stone block in the rear garden is engraved "M. M. Brown, 1900." A tennis court at one time graced a section of the grounds between the house and street.
Style: Shingled cottage for indoor swimming pool to main house: converted to library in 1930's and to residence in 1971.
Built: 1909 for John Robert Crouse, Sales Manager, Lamp Division of General Electric, and later with investment firm of Crouse, Tremaine Kuklas and Co. Garden in back (originally a paddock) contains stable mounting block with the date, 1909, and name of first owner of main house, M.M. Brown, a local land developer and lawyer.
Architect:Unknown; Additions in early 1970's include backroom, kitchen, front entry and attached garage
Living room: Imposing stone fireplace, pine paneling, double-hinged windows for venting swimming pool, "school-house lighting" — 7 of original 8 are still in the house.
1 This description is from the 1984 Tour Book. The property was again on the Tour in 1986, only two years later, with a much shorter description. There were, however, a few additional facts presented, as follows: Shingled cottage for indoor swimming pool to main house: converted to library in 1930's and to residence in 1971. Built in 1909 for John Robert Crouse, Sales Manager, Lamp Division of General Electric, and later with investment firm of Crouse, Tremaine Kuklas and Co. Additions in early 1970's include backroom, kitchen, front entry and attached garage.