2323 Stillman Road (1991)
Built in 1916 by Bohnard and Parssons, this brick center hall colonial was the childhood home of Hooker Glendinning, who was a major impetus behind the Heights Heritage Tour. The house possesses an understated and comfortably elegant decor, with original wood floors throughout and a varnished staircase. The dining room features wainscoting and corner cabinets embellished with a distinctive scrolling pattern.
Like its neighbors, the house underwent extensive renovations in the 1920s. The black walnut paneled library, reached through French doors from either the living room or the hallway, was added to house the original owner's extensive Dickens collection. This handsomely decorated room features a fireplace, many adjustable shelves, a window seat, storage cupboards behind the paneling, and a large tin-lined cabinet formerly used to store tobacco and pipes. The mirror in the half-bath under the main staircase was originally an exterior window.
The kitchen was remodeled twenty years ago and has more than stood the test of time. The original windows facing the shaded side yard remain. The ceiling molding matches the cupboards, which are treated with a green stain. The glass fronted cupboards in the butler's pantry are original, but have been painted over.
On the second floor, what is thought to be a former sewing/linen room was converted to a second floor laundry twenty years ago. The master bedroom, part of the 1920s addition, features radiator ledges that are exact reproductions of those in the living room. The master bath retains its original old-fashioned razor strop hooks, two matching sinks, and herringbone floor tile. A closet near the top of the stairs, handily equipped with a utility sink, was converted to a darkroom by the owners' children.