|Heights Heritage Tour|
2706 Scarborough Road (2005)
This 1920 Center Hall Colonial is an ideal blend of old
and new. It has been completely refurbished both inside and out since
its purchase in 2002. By the following year, it was decided that the
large evergreens in front of the house would have to go as they completely
obscured the view. As a result, two beautiful Colorado blue spruce were
donated to the City of Cleveland; one magnificent specimen was used
for the yuletide tree display on Public Square in 2003. Next, the entire
outside of the house was stripped down to the bare wood and repainted.
A new porch was created using existing sandstone and new brick.
To the left of the front door is the sitting room; painted in Martha Stewart’s ‘carton’ shade, it features a new fireplace made of tumbled marble. The owner describes all of the furnishings in this home as a mix of “grandma’s things and garage sales.” Through the sitting room is a screened porch furnished with antique rattan. Next is the sun room with a television set from 1950 and a 1938 original Raphaelo art deco poster.
But nothing prepares you for what awaits in the kitchen!
It is all new with slate floors, concrete countertops, custom-designed
slate backsplash, cherry cabinets and stainless steel appliances and
trim. During the remodel, the back doorway was moved and a new deck
added. The kitchen features a breakfast nook with sitting area where
one can enjoy views of the yard and tree house. The original butler’s
pantry was preserved and provides a transition from the kitchen to the
traditional dining room.
The second floor bath has been completely re-done in marble.
Some original subway tile was preserved on the walls. Go ahead--open
the shower curtain to see the magnificent marble shower. Moving back
to the old, the guest rooms are decorated traditionally with more of
“grandma’s things” and garage sale finds. The master
bedroom, carpeted in Berber, holds an interesting collection of political