2961 North Park (1987)
Although this house was designed for G. H. Gardner by the firm of Page and Corbusier in 1925, he never occupied it. The first occupants were Dr. Abraham Strauss and his wife, Marion, the daughter of Salmon P. Halle.
The use of open space, particularly in the center hall and stairway, adds to the graciousness of this home. The careful use of millwork, the graceful curve of the tops of the doors, and the detail of the staircase reflect the thoroughness which Corbusier brought to his work. Note especially the design of the capitals on the columns in the dining porch.
The present owners have remodeled the kitchen to include the former servants' dining room and have retained the original pantry. The grounds have been recently replanted to include masses of bulbs, azaleas, and rhododendrons. Their love of flowers is also reflected in the floral fabrics and wallcoverings throughout the house. Each room's decor was specifically selected by the owners to offset the dimensions and architecture of each room. The carpet in the living room has been carved to match the design of the wallpaper. A spacious, multi-level deck enables one to take full advantage of the woodland that surrounds the house.