2879 North Park (1987)
This Pennsylvania Colonial (or "Pennsylvania Farmhouse") style home was built in 1923. The architects are believed to be the firm of Meade and Hamilton. The gray fieldstone with raised panel shutters are standard features of Pennsylvania Dutch homes originally built in Colonial times. Twentieth-century versions were rarely seen in Northeast Ohio until after 1930, when local architect Munroe Copper, Jr., designed several dozen in the Heights suburbs.
The house has a center entrance which combines stone with white trim. The wide front door is framed by niches and leaded-glass sidelights. There is also a curved iron balcony and a quasi-Palladian second floor window with a sculptured pediment.
The most striking features of the interior are: chestnut floors, elegant doors on the main floor, and white woodwork with fan designs, The woodcarvings are best appreciated in pediments over several of the doors. The carved inscriptions are doubtless Pennsylvania Dutch in origin.
First floor highlights include: a true Colonial living room fireplace of slate and wood with an in-wall firewood storage compartment, a completely remodeled powder room on several levels with an exposed brick wall, and a high-tech kitchen. The main stairway bannister is partially of oak and has been stripped to its original stained-and-painted Georgian appearance.
The large back yard includes the original two car garage. An old Colonial wooden fence and exterior cellar steps suggest an image of Colonial times and materials. In contrast, the large, new in-ground pool beyond the garage brings the visitor back to the pleasures of twentieth century recreation.