2531 North Park (1987)
Overlooking the Doan Brook Valley, between the site of the original Shaker Mill and stone quarries, is this home at 2531 North Park Boulevard. Built by Mead and Hamilton c. 1921 for one "G. Abbott," this Georgian Revival house retains some of the simplicity of its stylistic origins. Marcus Whiffen calls this "neoclassical."
The main block of red brick features double-hung windows of eight panes over twelve, surmounted by contrasting lintels, each with a suggestion of fret work at the corners. The dentil work of the classical Doric pilasters that flank the entry, with the suggestion of a fan light above the door, are also signs of its architectural ancestry. At the same time, the general asymmetry of the street facade, with its two-story west wing, gives the house a more interesting contemporary look.
The interior has been decorated by the present owner in shades of rose, black and white, with green accents. Included is artwork by the present owner. The original woodwork has been highlighted dramatically, by painting it black with rose-colored beading in the dining room. The interior features sensitive adaptations of the original cabinetry, especially in the kitchen and pantry, and includes six fireplaces, A pentagonal, windowed extension of the library, some eight feet into the yard, enhances the back of the house. A swimming pool was installed by a previous owner.