2351 North Park Boulevard (1993)
A recent transplant to Cleveland Heights, this house was originally situated at 2180 Ambleside in Cleveland's University Circle. Built in 1910, the 180-ton house was moved up the hill to its present location in August of 1979 to accommodate a Judson Park expansion. The house shows a distinct Prairie-style influence, as it was designed by local architect Arthur N. Oviatt, who had been an associate of Frank Lloyd Wright at the time the house was built.
The present owners have done extensive structural and decorative renovation with a view to preserving and enhancing the essential Prairie details. The enclosure of the front porch area was cleverly designed and skillfully executed. A significant amount of living space was gained from the unused exterior porch; at the same time, the front facade of the house was transformed by the addition of the porch windows, which echo the semi-circular pattern in the third-floor dormers above. The design of the side windows is principally Prairie.
Ceiling beams and woodwork throughout the first floor have been faux grained and the walls in the house have all been resurfaced with a stucco finish. The fireplace mantles and tiles are custom built and recently added. Of particular interest in the living room is the massive oak armoire/entertainment center. The size of this piece dictated that it be built inside the house. The kitchen has undergone significant structural changes and features custom-made wooden cabinets and tile backsplashes built with tiles fashioned by the owners' young son.
Upstairs, a wall was knocked out and a doorway arch added to join the master bedroom and a sitting room. In the sitting room, the fireplace tiles commemorate notable aspects of he owner's family history. The upstairs bathroom was completely remodeled. New tile was installed on floors, walls, and ceiling. The transformation of the third floor into a teen suite rounds out an extremely lengthy and ambitious renovation of an architecturally significant house.