2976 Lincoln Boulevard (1988, 1995)
This remarkable eclectic Tudor house is deeply positioned on its diamond shaped lot to project its complex profile at best advantage. The building's first floor brick exterior is offset by its upper floors' stucco and half-timbered surfaces, consistent with the Tudor style. The house's facade is dominated by its steeply gabled clay tile roof and its substantial front porch.
Built in 1903, the house was expanded by three additions in 1967, 1971 and 1979. In 1967, the present owners expanded the existing back porch to create a family room/kitchen that extends across the back of the house. The play of indoor and "outdoor" space between the family room and the original house creates an interesting dynamic. In 1971, the present owners added a laundry room to accommodate the domestic demands of their eight sons and eight daughters. In 1979, the owners remodeled the kitchen and added a greenhouse.
While the exterior of the building is Tudor in style, the interior has a surprisingly Victorian floor plan and feeling. The mahogany and oak woodwork and panelling throughout the first floor evoke an earlier time period than its exterior would indicate. By contrast, Arts and Crafts elements consistent with the Tudor styling, such as the Frank Lloyd Wright-styled library windows and dining room light fixtures, offset and highlight the Victorian interior.
Exquisite stained glass, primarily from the demolished St. Agnes Church, is displayed by the owners throughout the house. The master bedroom contains a confessional from the same church, which has been incorporated as a closet wall. Throughout the house, the owners' antiques and furnishings augment the variety and detail which originally graced this house.