2189 Harcourt (1989)
In 1922 this Georgian style house was designed by Charles Schneider. The architect designed many large homes in Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, as well as Stan Hywet Hall In Akron for the Seiberling Family.
The design of both the house and the garden (the work of Julia Miller, a landscaping architect from Mentor) reflect the ideals of eighteenth century England. These concepts were reinterpreted by English Edwardian architects such as Edwin Lutyens and landscape architects such as Gertrude Jekyl, both influential in shaping American taste in the twentieth century. The strong axial quality of the alignment of doors, windows and other features coupled with the strong use of perpendiculars in the design reflects the work of Lutyens. The millwork, paneling, windows and floors suggest the architect's knowledge of proportion and sense of detail.
Few changes have been made over the years by the three owners. The house still reflects a sense of graciousness. The division of space effectively combines entertaining, private use and service areas. The large recreation room in the basement marks the development of that area for family use.
The original garden plans called for planting in a color scheme of yellow, blue and white in formal beds. The climbing hydrangea from the original plans is considered by the Garden Center of Greater Cleveland to be the best example in the Cleveland area. Even with a change in plantings, the garden reflects the formality it had when first planted.
The house was built for Ernest S. Barkwill, founder of Cleveland Builders Supply and the director of Canfield Oil and the Union Trust Company.