2696 Fairmount Boulevard (1984)
This home was commissioned in 1921 by seventy-nine year old Mrs. M. E. Haight and constructed by Burton Deming, a major participant in the development of Fairmount Boulevard. Upon her death in 1935, Mrs. Haight's ownership and furnishings were bequeathed to her young rooming companion, who retained the house for forty-seven years prior to its sale to the third and present owners.
Cleveland architect Frederick Draper designed this Tudor style house whose tall story heights, steeply-pitched slate roof, and strong vertical openings give presence to the surprisingly modest rectangular plan. Bays were designed to create missing interest on the principal facades. The masonry detailing is noteworthy, and elements commonly executed in stone, such as copings and portals, are constructed of molded brick.
In the dining room are plaster crown molding, oak floors, mahogany-stained birch trim and unusual transomed windows that extend from the floor to a height of eight feet, matching the heads of the doors and portals. The original kitchen and breakfast area was extensively remodeled by the present owners, both of whom enjoy cooking and require individual preparation areas and sinks. The inharmonious bay at the south end of the living room was added during the original construction. There is evidence of other such changes, including the mid-flight expansion of the garage and alteration of the north parapet wall of the porch.
The living room is flanked by an open porch with Tudor arches from which one may observe the stone terrace, walk, and landscaping which have been recently installed. The second floor contains three spacious bedrooms and the attic houses a fourth.