2590 Fairmount Boulevard (1994)
Combining comfort with elegance, this center hall brick colonial was built on the Euclid Golf Allotment in the early 1920s. The present owners started remodeling and restoring the house only a year-and-a half ago.
The most dramatic changes have occurred along the rear of the house, where they removed walls, added a large expanse of windows, and built an entire new chimney and fireplace. The very modern kitchen flows into the family room, and the combined areas open onto a dramatic entrance to the swimming pool. The latter probably dates from around 1950, but is enhanced by new stonework and landscaping. Extending out from the kitchen along one side of the house is a hallway, lavatory, laundry room, new closet, and mudroom. The original pantry, with its typical platewarmer, has been redecorated.
The beautiful stained oak woodwork on the first floor is original. Of particular interest is the elaborately carved staircase and newel post. Leading off the living room is a pleasant sunroom, and at one end of this is the "orangerium."
On the second floor, the original master bedroom with dressing room was made into a larger bedroom with bath, and French doors and a balcony have been added. A very attractive guest area has been created from the original maid's quarters.
A storage area on the third floor has been made into a large office with built-in cupboards and a wonderful skylight.