2890 Euclid Heights Boulevard (1984)
Stuccoed entry posts with curious shingled "mushroom" caps are architectural acronyms for this vigorously eclectic house. Its unusually deep site features a semicircular terrace with a wrought iron balustrade at the threshold of a wooded glen and, in the rear garden, a plumbed birdbath with putti terminating a stone walk originally enveloped with (an extant) grape arbor or pergola.
Constructed in 1919, the house is an amalgam of vernacular and classical elements. The symmetrical street facade may be seen as a "thatched cottage" (rolled eaves, eye brow dormers, double-hung windows with divided upper lights, gently arched wall-dormer) atop a classical base (ionic porch, blind arches above French doors, niche with large urn). The hipped roof cascades to shelter the garage and lovely solarium at the ends of the house. The garden facade features the bay of the stairwell landing and a dominating jalousied second story porch.
As the external design alludes, the plan is organized about a center hall which contains an unusual stair. The braided baluster at the upper landing manifests the stylistic invention and level of craft in domestic architecture of this era. Obscure glass of various textures conspire with southern light to create a rich pattern in the landing bay windows. The stair symmetrically winds to an encircling upper hall whose flush walnut-stained doors are inlaid with maple tessera.
On the ground floor, flat arched openings lead from the stair hall to the principal rooms. The living room focuses on the large fireplace; its south wall contains high-silled beveled glass windows inset with fleurs-de-lis which may allude to the garden orientation. The flanking tile-floored solarium enjoys excellent views through its leaded glass doors.