2236 Elandon (1990)
This modified prairie-style home was built in 1913 for Arthur W. Murphy, who was in charge of the commissary for the Erie Railroad. Designed by Bohnard & Parsson,
one of the leading architectural firms of the time, it is pictured in Beautiful Homes of Cleveland, published in 1917.
When the present owners bought this house three years ago they proceeded to restore it both inside and out, beginning with a new wood-shingle roof and a restuccoed exterior. The front door was stripped and refinished, and the original brass fittings restored. This process was repeated throughout the house. For example, in the living room the original French doors were restored, as were the brass chandelier and matching sconces in the dining room.
The centerpiece of the living area is a beautiful octagonal breakfast room. It has a fireplace, two built-in corner cupboards with glass doors adorned with typical prairie-style molding, French doors leading to the back yard, and a mirrored swinging door to the pantry.
The largest renovation project which the owners embarked upon was the kitchen. After a great deal of research, they personally undertook to design a French country
kitchen, with plenty of counter and storage space and light. To that end, a small porch was incorporated into the original kitchen space. The traditional pantry was left intact, and the original storage cupboards of yellow pine were restored.
The front yard is a visual delight, with beds of floribunda roses on either side of the walk leading to the front door. It speaks to much work and careful planning by the