2617 East Overlook (1990)
This classic white colonial was built for Dr. John J. Thomas in 1918 within a tract of land then known as Euclid Heights Garden City. The architect was William A. Hudson. The house had several owners until 194 1, when it was purchased by a prominent attorney, Irving H. Huggett. After his death, his son continued to live there until the end of his life in 1989. The present owners bought it with the intention of creating an ambiance within to complement the colonial exterior.
As you approach the house, notice the classic revival details on the portico and the Greek entablature on each corner. in the vestibule. Williamsburg Stencil Square wallcovering immediately sets the tone for the rest of the house. All interior walls were stripped of wallpaper and painted white to offset authentic and reproduction colonial furnishings and accessories. All fixtures were replaced by ones of authentic Williamsburg design.
Among other colonial touches are the antique hutch from the owner's grandparents with its display of Williamsburg Potpourri Wedgewood china, and an antique loveseat in the living room, found in complete disrepair and painstakingly restored by the owner.
A fortuitous discovery in the attic was the pair of French doors that had separated the living room and the hall. They have been refinished and returned to their original location.
To complete the colonial theme, the owners engaged an Amish carpenter to custom-craft all cabinets in the kitchen.
A white trellis with lavender clematis and a small pond filled with yellow irises adorn the backyard.