2450 Derbyshire (1989)
The Alcazar was built in 1923. The architect was a Clevelander, H.T. Jefferey. The design reflects Moorish buildings in Spain, which inspired the Alcazar and Ponce de Leon Hotels in St. Augustine, Florida, built in the late nineteenth century. The design of the Alcazar also reflects the work of Addison Mizner in Palm Beach and Boca Raton, Florida, such as the cloister arcade in the patio and long balcony windows.
The Alcazar's interior open garden court is a distinctive Spanish architectural feature of the building. The circular fountain, with its tall finial and spouting frogs and turtles, is a copy of one at the Hotel Ponce de Leon in St. Augustine, Florida. The fountain as well as all the other sculptural work was executed by the well known Cleveland firm of Fischer and Jirouh.
The Alcazar served as a residential apartment hotel from its opening to the present. Its dining room and ballroom were known as the venue for important dances, tea dances and parties in the 1920s and 1930s.
Since the early 1970s, the Alcazar has been operated by Western Reserve Residences, a Christian Science organization, as a private residential hotel. The Alcazar is a registered landmark.