2215 Delamere Drive (1994)
This lovely Tudor Revival house was designed by Howell and Thomas in 1917. The land had once been part of the Martin Gale timber farm, was then acquired by John D. Rockefeller, who leased it to the exclusive but short-lived Euclid Golf Club with the stipulation that members not play that section (the back nine) on Sundays. When the Golf Club disbanded, Deming purchased the land from Rockefeller for his development.
The half-timbered front facade is lyrically fenestrated with alternating bay and ribbon windows enhanced by an eyebrowed eaveline. The substantial front door is adorned with an appropriately scaled Craftsman style handle which is elegant in its heft and simplicity. The tiled oval vestibule is a recurring element in homes designed by Howell and Thomas.
Downstairs, the home retains much of the architectural grace with which it was endowed. Airy commodious rooms surround a refined central staircase. A mahogany secretary and a beaded sideboard solidly offset the dining room's wood paneling. A powder room with a cabinet curved to accommodate its small space is snuggled beneath the stairway. Well chosen antique and Japanese pieces complement one another throughout the home.
Upstairs, the owners have recently completed converting existing closet space into a luxurious and functional master bathroom. Through the sensitive use of historically relevant materials (such as utilizing "philadelphia fencing" wainscoting and granite sink surfaces) the owners have created a space that is historically appropriate with a contemporary feeling.