2189 Chatfield Drive (2002)

 

The calm and pristine elegance of this 1920 center-hall colonial was no accident. Over three short years, in fact, the refurbishments made by its owners probably exceed the original-construction efforts put into many of today's new homes. Among the house's higher-profile enhancements are new windows, copper gutters, plumbing, electrical systems, garage, and bath and lighting fixtures. Even the home's stucco surface—a tricky material to work with in this climate—was reapplied using three layers of stucco strengthened by a mixture of stone and cement. The owners also have created a beautiful garden/patio area that includes brick walkways, a "rabbit mansion" and a stone wall built from the remnants of an early 19th century estate.

 

Given that one of the owners is a building contractor (Dureiko Construction), it should not be surprising that the kitchen he designed and remodeled is a highlight. In addition to all-new appliances, cabinetry and layout, the space was extended by removing a back-entrance mudroom. Granite countertops give the room an extra sleek feel, and several of the room's original carved columns have been repositioned elsewhere in the kitchen.

 

Most importantly, all of the above enhancements were made without giving the home a patchy or redone feel. If anything, its authenticity and natural warmth have been enhanced. For example, imaginative yet traditional applications of color, woodwork and artwork make the house seem unusually light and airy—a feeling that is amplified by an open floor plan. From the outside, the home's wrapped roofline provides an English cottage look that is complemented by "eyebrow" and turret windows. Even the street's large concentration of sycamore trees contribute to a sense of quiet, accessible grace.

 

Watch For:

        Butler's pantry with original accoutrements, including a tin sink.

        Original built-in desk in the family room.

        An old "Jewel" icebox in the living room.

        A 1915 "Kitchen Work Center" on the third floor.

        An old Carmen "multi-game board" mounted above the third floor landing.