12621 Cedar Road (1979, 1986)
The Calhoun/Crile Garage
This garage-chauffeur's quarters was originally part of the estate designed by Frank Meade for Patrick Calhoun (his second home in the Heights) and acquired in 1914 by Dr. George Crile, Sr., founder of the Cleveland Clinic.
When the property was sold in 1945 to the Hough Avenue Baptist Church - renamed Cedar Hill Baptist Church - the portion containing the garage was parceled off and sold; subsequent owners enclosed the dining room and used the building as a "weekend and party" house.
The present owners have made few structural changes aside from adapting the garage space to studio use and adding a two-level deck, designed and built by Mr. Epstein and his son. The interior panelling is tongue-in-groove poplar milled in Peninsula.