12545 Cedar Road (1989)
This house was designed by C.E. Howell of the firm of Howell and Thomas as his home in 1922. Howell and Thomas were brought to Cleveland by B.R. Deming, who developed the Euclid Golf Subdivision as an area for medium to large single-family homes on curving streets with restrictive zoning and control over house plans.
This development occupied the land previously home to the Euclid Golf Club. The club house was at the present site of Derbyshire and Norfolk and the course was on the south side of Cedar between Coventry and Fairmount.
The house is in the Country French style and noted for its use of details, symmetry and treatment of the unpainted rough-cast stucco walls. The principal entrance is on the far left with tooled cement quoins. On the left of the boldly paneled door is an old elaborate iron lantern (with a center rosette of scrolls and leaves.) Above the entrance, French doors open onto a wrought-iron balcony. The two French doors as well as the other features of the front of this house illustrate how the architect incorporated the best features of 18th-century French and English residential architecture.
Howell and Thomas exercised the same care in the use of proportions and period details in laying out the interior spaces of all their homes, especially living rooms, dining rooms, and libraries. Among the original features of this house were "back stairs" in service areas, including kitchens, pantries, and servants' rooms. Some areas have been remodeled in recent years to accommodate the special needs of the present owner.
The second owner of the home was Daniel E. Morgan, whose many accomplishments included first President of the City Club, second City Manager of Cleveland, and Judge of Ohio Court of Appeals. A fuller picture of Morgan and his life is found in the book, Daniel E. Morgan, "The Good Citizen in Politics" by Dr. Thomas F. Campbell.