2505 Arlington (1988)
This exquisite Tudor Revival home was a part of the pie-shaped property originally shared by members of the Jeavons family. This house was built by William R. Jeavons in 1918 for his son, W. Norman Jeavons. William R. Jeavons was the inventor of a wickless oil burner and the holder of several oil stove patents. He resided at 2541 Arlington.
Two years after the construction of his home, W, Norman Jeavons, an architect with W. Norman Associates, designed a three-story addition to the back of the house including the family room and master bedroom. It is almost impossible to separate the original structure from the addition except for one notable feature: the original structure contains sash windows whereas the addition contains leaded glass windows.
As one enters the home, a step down into the warm, elegant family room/library reveals immense oak beams crossing the stucco ceiling. The diamond-shaped leaded glass windows surrounding the room are the only clues that this room is part of the 1920 addition. The sconces in this room are handcrafted wrought iron and embossed with the Jeavons family crest. The family crest also embellishes the fireplace. Notice the unusually shaped wood beamed door.
Wrought iron is used throughout the home in stair railings, light fixtures, and door straps and hinges. Every attention to convenience and optimum use of space is taken into consideration in the original structure and the addition. The built-in cabinet outside the master bedroom contains drawers that are approximately three feet deep and extend to the master bathroom. The unique screens in the breakfast room are designed to allow access to the windows without moving items on the window ledge.
Stucco ceilings in the living room and the dining room are accented by plaster cove molding. The beaded glass light fixture in the master bedroom gives evidence that the "Jazz Era" influenced the decor of this home.
A walk through the yard reveals the coach house which was shared by all three Jeavons families. A peek through the south foliage will reveal a cement pond with a lion's head from which water at one time spewed.